Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jennie Lorette Keatts, Jewelry that rocks

Jennie Lorete Keatts is an America Creates jewelry artisan.She use a rolling mill, stamps or reticulation to create the many textures that she incorporate into her work. So many ordinary things can create such beauty when impressed into silver or when viewed outside the box. All of her jewelry is hand fabricated from sterling silver sheet and wire, with the addition of gold fill, copper and semi-precious stones. Jennie works alone in my studio making each piece.

“Turning Mud Into Gemstones” defines JLK Jewelry. Her stones are all hand formed cabochon “tiles”, mostly painted with the Jugtown Pottery glazes. The stones are fired in gas and electric kilns to cone 6 or cone 10, occasionally under-glazes will be used for one of a kind stones. The child in her quickly emerges each time the kiln is opened, I can’t wait to open it up and see what I will pull out. I feel as though I have struck a vein of a new and wonderful stone as the glazes have melded to form my new stones.


No comments:

Post a Comment